From "Hands-On" to "Designed"



The image above is only one example of cybersecurity job postings for curriulum developers. Sad. 

Check out page 7 in the Association for Federal Enterprise Risk Management (AFERM) newletter to read my piece about knowledge failure https://www.aferm.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/AFERM-Newsletter-30-September-2019.pdf 

The buzz word in cybersecurity training is "hands-on". As in, training has to be "hands-on" if it's going to be fun, engaging and effective and only practitioners of networking, python, linux and windows can create effective training in these areas. 

Not true. None of that is true. 

Training has to be designed if it's going to be real, useful, meaningful, fun, engaging and effective. 

Training has to be designed if it's going to show well on a resume and portfolio of work. 

Training has to be designed if it's going to help us mature our national cyber secure culture within and outside businesses. 

Job stories is one design model I used when I worked in government and it's one I continue to use in my day job and in my volunteer nonprofit work. 




For more Cybersecurity stories, information, and fun conversation, Subscribe to my YouTube channel Person-Centered Cyber. 

It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not. I talk more about who we really are, and why knowing this matters on my Life Without a Witness YouTube Channel 

Also, if you create cybersecurity training, want better business outcomes, and better performance at work, come see me on my Everyone Deserves an Ypifany (pronounced "epiphany") Youtube Channel 

Want Coaching?

If you would like phone coaching and other coaching opportunities with me, schedule time here 






Comments